Renovating bathroom on a budget
You spend 20 to 60 minutes of each day in your bathroom, so you shouldn't skimp on its function or style. Fortunately, you can make your home's bathrooms more comfortable and easier to clean with just a few thrifty improvements. See an amazing bath transformation made on a small budget.
1. Deep Clean Surfaces
Your bath looks and feels better when you give everything a thorough cleaning.
- Dust the ceilings and exhaust fan
- Wipe down the walls and shower stalls
- Scrub all surfaces, including cracks and crevices
- Dust all doors, door frames and cabinets
- Dismantle the light fixtures and wash all globes
2. Freshen Stained Grout
Freshen up bathrooms by getting the grunge off the grout lines. Scrub the dingy grout with an old toothbrush and a mild bleach solution (one part bleach to 10 parts water). Coat the cleaned grout with a commercial grout sealer.
If your grout is permanently stained or damaged, remove it and apply fresh grout.
3. Update Your Exhaust Fan
Your bath's exhaust fan is the room's first defense against mold, mildew and surface damage. A good fan runs quietly and exchanges the air in the room at least eight times per hour.
Is your fan working properly? Try this test: figure out the volume of your bathroom (width x length x ceiling height, all in feet) and then check your fan's capacity by removing the fan's plastic cover and look inside for the fan's CFM (cubic feet per minute) rating.
As you shop for a new fan, look for integrated fixtures that combine exhaust capabilities with lighting.
4. Replace Your Toilet Seat and LidA new toilet seat can instantly refresh a bathroom. Seats are easy to replace, and you can select one based on color as well as comfort.
- Hold the toilet seat bolts in place from below with a pair of pliers while unscrewing the bolts from above with a flathead screwdriver. Remove the old seat.
- Thoroughly clean the entire toilet exterior.
- Insert the bolts of the new seat into the holes. Thread the nuts in place and tighten with a screwdriver and pliers. Avoid over-tightening which can damage the seat or toilet.
5. Replace Your ShowerheadA new showerhead adds a pampering touch to your bath. New budget-friendly fixtures feature pulsating sprays, adjustable heads and rainfall-style heads.
Simply unscrew the old showerhead, using a wrench or pliers if it's tight. Then screw on the new showerhead. To avoid scuffing the new fixture, wrap it in a rag or towel when tightening with a wrench or pliers.
6. Add Hooks and BarsTowel bars and hooks are typically mounted on walls, but you can achieve an interesting look by adding these organizers to window frames, the backs of doors and the sides and interiors of cabinets.
Bars and hooks can hold more than just bath linens. Use them for hanging clothing, buckets of toiletries, laundry bags and canvas pouches filled with bath supplies.
7. Replace a Faucet
Lowe's carries dozens of beautiful bath faucets, priced for any budget. In fact, selecting your favorite faucet may be more difficult than actually replacing your existing one.
Remember to look for the WaterSense logo. This logo indicates a faucet is approximately 20 percent more water-efficient than the average faucet, which saves money on your monthly water bill.
8. Reseal Your Tub and Sink
A line of dirty caulk around your bathtub or sink can draw attention away from even the finest fixtures and decor. The remedy: Scrub down your tub or sink, removing any old caulk, then apply a fresh line of caulk. You'll immensely improve its appearance and guard against water damage, mold and mildew. A good, watertight seal also makes future cleaning a breeze.
9. Replace Lighting
Most baths only have one or two light fixtures, so upgrading your lighting can make a big difference without costing a fortune.
10. Install a New Vanity
Even a first-time homeowner can remove a dated vanity and sink to replace it with a new model. The Lowe's Plumbing Department carries all-in-one bath vanity units that combine a storage cabinet, durable countertop and coordinating faucet for easy installation.