Kitchen Color Design Ideas
Choosing from an infinite number of kitchen color schemes can be both exciting and daunting. How do you decide?
7 Steps to a Kitchen Color Scheme
There are seven essential steps to take when selecting colors for your kitchen remodel. While often helpful, it is not necessary to follow these steps in order.
- Choosing cabinet colors: Kitchen cabinets typically take up 50% of your budget and occupy about 40% of the visual space in your kitchen. For these reasons, it's best to start out by choosing a cabinet color that fits your personality and your home's style before deciding the other colors in your kitchen.
- Choosing appliance colors: Your cabinetry order cannot be finalized until you know which appliances you intend to buy. As focal points, your sink and appliances can have a big impact on your kitchen color scheme.
- Choosing countertop colors: Your kitchen countertops are close to eye level and will occupy a large portion of your visual space. Be sure to bring a sample of your cabinetry color to help you choose a coordinating countertop color.
- Choosing flooring colors: When selecting a kitchen floor color, be sure it coordinates well with the cabinets, countertops, and appliances, as well as with the floors in adjoining rooms.
- Choosing a backsplash color: By now your kitchen color scheme is nearly complete. There are many backsplash options that can either coordinate or clash with your color scheme, so if you need extra help, don't hesitate to enlist the services of a designer when selecting a backsplash.
- Choosing a wall color: Often the forgotten backdrop to an overall color scheme, your walls can still play a vital role. While the walls are often obscured by cabinets, pick a color that balances well with the floors, cabinets, and backsplash.
- Choosing hardware colors: Your faucets and cabinet handles are installed later, after the cabinets and granite have been completed. While it is common to coordinate the faucets and handles colors, it is not required.
MORE HELP: Feeling stuck? Take a step back and consider the overall effect you want. Do you crave a bright, welcoming kitchen or a luxurious gourmet theme? Review our kitchen galleries and kitchen styles to see what other designers have done. Below are some more articles, photos, and design ideas to help you develop your kitchen color scheme.
Colors by Style
STYLE is an important factor when choosing a color palette for your kitchen. For example, a traditional kitchen can be made quite modern simply by adjusting the colors in the kitchen. Consider your style before finalizing the kitchen color scheme.
» French Country
» Retro & Vintage
» ... More styles
CABINETS occupy about one third of the visual space in a kitchen. Here are several kitchen cabinet colors to consider:
» Antique White
» Black & White
REAL WOOD is still the most popular option for kitchen cabinets. The natural grain and tone of wood strongly affects your kitchen color scheme. Here's a list of cabinet materials, including popular woods:
» Exotic Woods
» Knotty Woods
» Painted Wood
» Plastic Laminate