Kitchen Renovation cost Estimator
High ceilings and large rectangular windows allow an abundance of light into this room radiating a sense of space and air with an elegant ambiance. Using two different colored cabinets actually works here and fits with the oversized stainless steel appliances and the marble effect top on the huge island. It's classy with a galley feel thanks to the dark wood floor and subtle color combinations.
|Cabinets||$15, 504||$3, 876|
|Counters||$5, 928||$1, 482|
|Appliances||$8, 208||$2, 052|
|Electrical||$4, 104||$1, 026|
|Doors & Windows||$2, 280||$570|
|Total = $57, 000||$44, 688||$12, 312|
Kitchen remodeling can be done in many ways, and for this discussion we will consider the costs and requirements for a kitchen update of a 200 square foot kitchen. Few kitchen remodeling projects will be considered a "DIY" project, and several contractors might be necessary for the job (plumbing, installation, electrical, etc.).
For the kitchen update, the typical costs include:
- According to Hanley Wood and their "Remodeling" magazine the average kitchen update in which cabinetry and countertops are replaced with "medium-grade" components, all appliances are upgraded to energy efficient models, laminate countertops are replaced, a new sink and faucet are installed, flooring is replaced, and walls and trim repainted will cost $20, 320. The resale value of this update would hold at $16, 234. According to Calfinder, 70 percent of kitchen remodeling costs are recouped upon resale.
- The above figures place the kitchen update at $101.6 per square foot. This pricing structure assumes that carpenters charge an average of $70 per hour, electricians between $65 to $85 per hour, painters between $20 and $35 per hour and plumbers between $45 and $65 per hour.
What needs to be included:
- 30 linear feet of cabinetry using same design / size with medium-grade oak cabinets - Average of $117 to $140 per linear foot for a total of $4200. This does not take into consideration the removal of old cabinetry and the potential for reinforcement of walls and floors. Such costs would be based on the average carpentry rate of $70 per hour.
- Energy-efficient range - Average of 0 to 0 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient dishwasher - Average of 0 to 0 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient refrigerator - Average of $800 to $1000 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). Installation should be included.
- Energy-efficient microwave - Average of 0 to 0 (without delivery and disposal fees for old machine and without any rebates taken into consideration). This might not include installation, and the average electrician would require no more than two hours to complete the project.
- Replace 30 linear feet of laminate countertops - Average of $20 per linear foot, for a total of $600.
- Install mid-level sink and faucet - Average price for a double basin sink is $220 to $380, and faucet set of $100 to $200, for an average total of $450.
- Replace existing flooring with medium quality resilient flooring - Average of $25 to $35 per square yard, for a total of $775.
- Provide electrical wiring and lighting to code - This is going to depend upon the amount of work required, but electricians average from $65 to $85 per hour. This project might be priced on a per item basis, or the carpenter might simply base it on the square footage.